Roofing can be a dangerous task. No matter what your roof looks like, it’s probably pitched, there’s no railing, and it’s quite a few feet off the ground. So when something goes wrong, whether you’ve got a leak, a few shingles came off in the last storm or your roof needs serious repairs, it’s hard to know if you should buckle up and do it yourself, or call a professional. Here’s a few pros and cons to Pro‘s and Con’s of Roofing Yourself vs Hiring a professional Roofer.
- It’s possible to save a significant amount of money on labor when performing a roof repair yourself.
- If it’s a simple repair, like applying some sealant over a small roof leak or replacing a shingle or two, fixing it yourself might not be so bad. If you built your own home or recently replaced your roof, you might already have leftover shingles, so you save on product costs, and you’ll also save the cost of hiring someone.
- Perform the repair around your own schedule without having to wait on a professional roofer’s calendar to open up.
- No matter what job you’re doing, walking around on the roof isn’t safe if you don’t do it on a regular basis. Roofers spend almost every day up on the roof, so they know how to safely navigate the dangers, and have a high level of experience with every sort of issue. Additionally, if you aren’t exactly sure what to do, you risk making a small problem a lot bigger. What was just a small leak before could become a major structural issue if it’s poorly attended to.
- It might end up costing you MORE money if you find out you don’t exactly know what you are doing or do something wrong, meaning a professional has to come out and redo your work.
- Most materials come with their own warranties, but these are also nullified when the materials aren’t installed by a certified roofer. If your new shingles crack, for example, you may have no recourse if you’ve installed them yourself.
Hiring a professional roofer:
- Pros – Number one: you don’t have to get up on the roof. That saves you a lot just in peace of mind. Also, when you hire a professional, you know the job’s going to be done right, and done well. A roofer will also be able to tell you if there’s anything else going on with your roof that you need to know about. Many professionals offer free consultation so you know exactly what’s happening with your roof, why it needs to be fixed and how much it will cost. If you have a professional repair your roof, you’ll know the problem was taken care of properly and permanently.
BONUS: If you’re replacing your entire roof, hiring a professional usually means there is a manufacturers warranty available if installed by a certified professional. This can save you a lot of headaches in the future.
- Cons – If it’s a simple task, it might cost more to have a professional do it than to just fix it yourself. The added cost won’t always outweigh the benefits. There’s also the hassle of making sure you can get a professional out to your home when it’s convenient for you, both when they do the inspection, and later when they come back to finish the repairs. Finally, if you have a repair you need to be done right away, you might have to wait to get a trusted professional to do it. Depending on the time of the year, some roofers may be booked for weeks.
While it’s always tempting to perform residential repairs yourself, All Weather Exteriors strongly encourages you to reach out to a local roofing professional before going it alone. When you work with the right roofing company, you’ll be surprised just how efficiently and affordably professional roof work can be done.
HOW CAN I FIND A GOOD ROOFER?
- Customer Testimonials: The customer testimonials are the best way of assessing the quality, dependability and customer trust. They will also tell you about the technical and financial aspects of the services.
- Reviews: The reviews from customers and industry experts help in evaluating the expertise of the roofer.
- Interview: Having a face-to-face interview with the roofer can give you more details about his experience, licensing, certifications and the quality standards he follows. Check for the material quality, durability and the structural stability with him. For this, you have to specify your requirements in detail.
- Rating: The star rating given by the customers is another indication of the service reliability and material quality provided by the roofer.
- Website: You can visit the website of the roofer and browse through the product and service pages. They give you the specific details. You can also browse through the FAQ sections.
In the end, you have to decide if you know what you’re doing if it’s safe and if you’ll actually save money. If you have an issue with your roof, just give us a call at 204.510.2959 We’ll let you know exactly what’s going on with your roof, and how we can help you.